Register

Thread: cool boy

cool boy

Đây gọi là: Người cày có ruộng.

Không phải chánh sách cải cách điền địa của chánh phủ VNCH.
    Mà là người chịu cày ắt có đất dụng võ. Không phải chạy chọt.

Formerly Homeless Student Gets Into 17 Colleges, on His Own

Dylan Chidick, who was accepted to 17 colleges, and his mother, Khadine Phillip. “I think it is unfair that people could just buy their way in,” he said, speaking of the college admissions scandal.CreditCredit (WomenRising)

By Christine Hauser
    March 14, 2019

The odds were stacked against Dylan Chidick in the summer of 2017. A Jersey City high school student, he was homeless and struggling to study in a shelter. His twin brothers had heart conditions and needed extra care. His mother had lost her job.

But this week, he learned that he had been accepted to 17 colleges, including Siena College, Kean University, Caldwell University and York College of Pennsylvania. His academic efforts stood in sharp contrast to the stories of privilege and wealth that emerged from the wide-ranging college admissions scam, in which dozens of wealthy and high-profile parents allegedly bought their children’s admission into elite universities.

After the many lessons that Dylan, 17, has had to learn about life’s odds, here was one more.

“I think it is unfair that people could just buy their way in,” said Dylan, speaking on Thursday during a break from classes. “But I know that it has been happening for a long time, and there is always going to be someone with more privilege and more connections, to have it easier than others.”

“And that means that you have to work harder to achieve the same goals,” he said.

Any lingering faith in a system of meritocracy was challenged on Tuesday when federal prosecutors charged 50 people in what they called the “largest college admissions scam ever prosecuted by the Department of Justice.” The prosecutors alleged that the parents involved paid millions of dollars in bribes to secure spots for their privileged children.

By contrast, other students across the country spoke to The Times this week about the obstacles they had to overcome to prepare for college, such as finding jobs to help their families pay bills or to save for tuition, as well as taking tests over and over, without the benefit of tutors, in hopes of improving their scores and their prospects.

Dylan’s college application process was a fraught period of test-taking, late nights and hopeful anticipation.

The first time he took the SAT, he realized he had not started studying for it early enough, and he thought he could do better. He spent long nights studying the second time around, and started preparing further in advance, in hopes of becoming the first person in his family to go to college.

Dylan’s family immigrated from Trinidad when he was 7 and settled in Brooklyn, later moving to Jersey City when they were priced out.

He enrolled at Henry Snyder High School, where he became an honors student and took advanced placement classes. His mother, Khadine Phillip, found work as a home health care aide. His brothers, who are now 11, needed open-heart surgery and suffered from fainting spells, which Dylan said meant that he had to watch them extra carefully at the playground.

In mid-2017, Ms. Phillip lost her job and the family lost their home, Dylan said.

They moved into a shelter, where they stayed for several months. Even though he would have preferred having a quiet place to study, where he could stay up late to work without having to follow a curfew, Dylan made the most of it and persisted.

He took advanced placement classes that summer, worked at a recreation center, and returned to the shelter at 9 p.m. to study.

Eventually, with the help of Women Rising, an organization in Jersey City that helps women and their families find housing, counseling and social services, Dylan and his family found a permanent place to live.

It was then Dylan started preparing to apply to colleges. Helped by fee-waivers that are available to first-generation college students and those from low-income families, he cast a wide net in his potential choices. He also pushed aside the words imprinted in his memory from other students and from educators who had doubted him as a child.

“It taught me to be persistent,” he said. “Just because you hear ‘no' once doesn’t mean you are going to hear ‘no’ again.”

Hard work helped form his character, he said. He is now hoping to receive his 18th acceptance notice from his first choice school — the College of New Jersey, where he has friends. He plans to ultimately become a lawyer.

“Even before me and my family were homeless, I always knew I wanted to go to college,” he said.

But after everything they went through, he became even more determined. “I vowed to never let my family get into that situation again,” he said.

/* src.: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/14/u...n-chidick.html

Đúng rồi, có công mài sách có ngày nên thân.

Quote Originally Posted by ốc View Post
    Đúng rồi, có công mài sách có ngày nên thân.

Có công mài sắt có ngày thành công tai nơ, gương hiếu học người Đài Loan gốc Đài Loan:

Nghèo khó, học giỏi, một nữ sinh Việt Nam được dư luận Đài Loan ca ngợi
    September 7, 2019

Nữ sinh Huang được người đứng đầu ngành giáo dục Đài Loan tặng bàn học sau khi đỗ vào trường Nữ Trung Học Chiayi. (Hình: CNA Photo)

CHIAYI, Đài Loan (NV) – Một nữ sinh nghèo gốc Việt phải ngồi học ở gốc cây nhưng thi đậu vào trường nữ trung học hàng đầu ở quận Chiayi, khiến người đứng đầu ngành giáo dục Đài Loan cảm kích gương hiếu học và tặng em bàn học mới.

Vừa vào năm học mới, truyền thông Đài Loan đưa tin một nữ sinh nghèo gốc Việt tên Huang, sống trong một túp lều chỉ rộng khoảng 24.3 mét vuông tại thị trấn Lucao, quận Chiayi đã chăm chỉ học để thi đậu vào trường Nữ Trung Học Chiayi, một ngôi trường danh tiếng nằm ở phía Bắc của Đồng Bằng Gia Nam, phía Tây Nam của đảo Đài Loan.

Theo tờ Người Lao Động ngày 7 Tháng Chín, 2019, khi được báo chí phỏng vấn, Huang cho biết mong ước của em là có được một chiếc bàn học cho riêng mình. Ông Pan Wen-Chung, Cơ Quan Giáo Dục Đài Loan biết đến hoàn cảnh của em, đã tặng ngay cho em một chiếc bàn mới.

Đài EBC cho biết mẹ của Huang, bà Nguyễn là người Việt Nam đã kết hôn với cha em là người Đài Loan hơn một thập kỷ trước và có hai con. Tuy nhiên, nhiều năm trước chồng bà qua đời để lại cho bà một gánh nặng lớn là phải nuôi dạy hai đứa con, một trai một gái. Kể từ đó, bà Nguyễn phải đi làm khá cực tại một vườn cây với mức lương chỉ hơn 10,000 đài tệ ($320) một tháng, vừa đủ để trang trải cuộc sống.

Biết hoàn cảnh gia đình em Huang, một mạnh thường quân tặng cho gia đình em một căn nhà container sâu 6 mét có hai phòng và có không gian riêng cho trẻ em. Ngôi nhà này sẽ được đặt bên cạnh căn nhà hiện tại của Huang.

Ông Pan Wen-Chung đã chia sẻ câu chuyện trên trang Facebook cá nhân của mình: “Tất cả những đứa trẻ phải vật lộn để vượt qua nghịch cảnh là niềm tự hào cho chúng tôi. Mặc dù môi trường không thuận lợi, với sự kiên trì và chăm chỉ của em, Huang đã được nhận vào học tại trường trung học dành cho nữ sinh Chiayi.”

Ông Pan cho biết thêm, ông và chính quyền “rất quan tâm đến trường hợp này.” Ông cũng cảm ơn hiệu trưởng Tasi của trường Nữ Sinh Chiayi, giám sát viên Văn Phòng Liên Lạc quận Chiayi Fan Tu-tao, cùng nhiều đồng nghiệp giáo dục khác vì sự tuyệt vời của họ trong việc phát hiện những tấm gương hiếu học và ông tin rằng “sự ấm áp và tình yêu từ xã hội Đài Loan chắc chắn có thể hỗ trợ trẻ em tiến lên một cách can đảm hơn.”

Cuối bài viết, ông Pan cũng động viên Huang: “Tinh thần nỗ lực vượt qua nghịch cảnh của em thực sự đã chạm vào trái tim và truyền cảm hứng cho chúng tôi. Tôi hy vọng sự hỗ trợ từ xã hội có thể tiếp thêm động lực cho em đạt đến thành công trong tương lai.”

Tin cho biết, trường Nữ Sinh Chiayi cũng sẽ cung cấp học bổng và các bữa ăn miễn phí cho em. Trong tương lai, Huang hy vọng trở thành một luật sư, để em có thể “mua một ngôi nhà lớn hơn cho mẹ và không để mẹ phải làm việc quá vất vả nữa.” (Tr.N)

/* src.: https://www.nguoi-viet.com/viet-nam/...-loan-ca-ngoi/

Lạm bàn với tác giả: chúng ta phải tập bỏ dần cái thói thấy người sang bắt quàng làm họ. Cháu bé này cha người Đài Loan, mẹ người Việt, trên nguyên tắc sinh hóa là "con lai", trên nguyên tắc pháp lý là người Đài Loan, và do nguyên quán lẫn sinh quán là Đài Loan thì cháu là người "gốc Đài Loan", không có một tí xíu nào là "nữ sinh người Việt" cả. Cả cái tên cũng không có. Chúng ta vui mừng cho cháu và mẹ cháu nhưng đừng vì thế mà bắt quàng làm họ, thay đổi quốc tịch đứa trẻ một cách ... máy móc như rứa!

Last edited by Triển; 09-07-2019 at 05:09 PM.
    http://dtphorum.com/pr4/signaturepics/sigpic726_7.gif Puck Futin

Dạy hư

How America Turned Me Into a Climate Killer

I grew up in Germany making my own granola bars and relying on my bicycle for transportation. Now that I am in Denver, though, I drink coffee out of a Styrofoam cup and eat my meals off of plastic plates. In America, there's no way around it.
    © Dieter Mayr

By Anna Clauß

Plastic, plastic everywhere.

September 06, 2019 09:42 AM

It wasn't actually my intention to destroy planet Earth when I flew off to Colorado in July for a two-month stint at the Denver Post. But now, like all those around me, I am leading the life of a climate killer.

"Our house is on fire," says Greta Thunberg. She is, of course, referring to a world facing the grave threat of climate change -- warming temperatures caused by people like myself. From the perspective of the Fridays for Future activist, I am the girl playing with matches.

Here in Denver, I drive to work every day in an SUV, I drink beer from an aluminum can and sip coffee out of a Styrofoam cup using a plastic straw. Every time I go shopping, I come home with at least five plastic bags. Recently I went out for a lunch of spaghetti and meatballs. It was served on a porcelain plate and the knife and fork were both metal -- a sign that the restaurant's best days were behind it. It closed down the next month.

In 21st century America, dining establishments are unprofitable if they waste half of their kitchen space on a dishwasher. Most lunch counters serve their bowls, burritos or bagels on plastic dishes accompanied by plastic eating utensils, even if you're not getting your food to go. Instead of using a glass, your coke comes in a paper cup -- and there are gigantic garbage bins at the exits for all the waste.

For someone like myself, who spent a happy childhood in a Tübingen household where Nutella was banned, the milk was organic and the granola bars were homemade, it's not easy. In that Green Party stronghold, recumbent bikes were everywhere, and people felt guilty about flying even before it became fashionable to do so.

Downright Absurd

Early on in my stay in Denver, I tried to resist the U.S.'s omnipresent environmental sacrilege. I tried to reuse at least one of the plastic bags from the supermarket in the bathroom trashcan. I would take my Styrofoam coffee cup home with me in the evening, rinse it out and bring it back to work the next day so I could reuse it. And I stayed away from the locally brewed Family Vacation beer because it was only available in cans.

These days, though, I have begun to lose faith that I can help save humanity with the cloth tote bag I brought from Germany. Indeed, the German plan to protect the climate looks downright absurd when viewed from the other side of the Atlantic. Top German politicians are seeking to phase out oil heaters and ban plastic bags while the EU is going after plastic cotton swabs. Which is fine. But all that doesn't even amount to a drop in the ocean of change that will inevitably transform our world.

Even if the Greens were to turn Germany into an eco-dictatorship, which they say they are absolutely opposed to doing, it wouldn't help the world. At least not as long as people in countries like the U.S. have a massively larger carbon footprint than we do in Germany.

There are, of course, a lot of Americans who don't think like Donald Trump does, people whose brains have room for environmental awareness. But they also have no choice but to buy their organic lettuce at Whole Foods in gigantic plastic boxes to ensure they get home safely. In the car, of course. I haven't seen bike racks in front of a single supermarket here. And for every state in America that, like California, has introduced a ban on plastic bags, there is another that has made it legally impossible to pass such a ban. Most recently, Arizona, Florida and Mississippi introduced plastic-bag-ban bans. Environmental protection in this country is proceeding in slow motion even as the polar ice caps are melting in fast-forward.

With human civilization heading toward an untimely end, I could become a passionate follower of Greta Thunberg and follow her example by walking all the way across the North American continent to New York to call attention to the threats that face us. But I have chosen a different path.

The Fun of Fatalism

I have now lived in the U.S. for several weeks and I can see how it has changed me. I tell myself that global warming likely can't be stopped anyway. And I remind myself that 99 percent of all species that once existed on Earth are no longer here, and that humans are likely no exception.

I have dedicated myself to fatalism and realized that it's actually quite fun. After all, I have the example of a huge number of Americans to follow.

Recently, I drove in a Chevrolet Equinox from Santa Fe to Denver. I was all alone in the vehicle, which seemed at least half as big as my Munich apartment and slurped down as much fuel as a German Leopard-2 tank. Outside was the New Mexican desert. Inside, the air conditioning was going full blast. In the cupholder was an iced caramel macchiato in a plastic cup with a plastic straw. The Cure was playing on the radio: "Friday, I'm in Love." And I sang along.

/*src: https://www.spiegel.de/international...a-1285478.html

Rốt cuộc (lại rốt cuộc) thì công việc soạn giáo án không phải là
    công việc của nhà nước (sở giáo dục, bộ giáo dục...etc) sao ta,
    ở Mỹ có công ty giáo dục gì ngầu dzậy cà?

Nói gì nói chớ cách giải của cái hình minh họa hay à nha. Cỡ tui chỉ
    toán cho con và cháu của tui hồi xưa là tui máy móc áp dụng công thức giải
    phương trình bậc hai liền chớ đâu có nghĩ ra cái tách nhơn tử (factorisation)
    gì sexy vậy. Quá hay luôn.

Chỉ trích giáo trình dạy toán, cha mẹ bị kiện
    September 14, 2019

Một lớp học toán. (Hình minh họa: Peter Macdiarmid/Getty Images)

RALEIGH, North Carolina (NV) – Một nhóm các gia đình ở Wake County, tiểu bang North Carolina, từ nhiều tháng nay đã có các nỗ lực yêu cầu học khu nơi này chấm dứt việc sử dụng một giáo trình mới để dạy toán hiện đang gây nhiều tranh cãi.

Theo Education Week, nay công ty soạn và bán giáo trình này vừa đưa đơn kiện người được coi là “ồn ào” nhất trong giới phụ huynh từng lên tiếng phản đối, với lý do “phỉ báng.”

Đây là một phản ứng tạo sự ngạc nhiên và một số người nói rằng có thể có ảnh hưởng lớn đối với việc các phụ huynh bày tỏ ý kiến của họ về giáo trình cũng như cách dạy học.

Ông Tom Loveless, một nhà nghiên cứu về giáo dục từng làm việc tại Brookings Institution, nói rằng nếu công ty kia thắng kiện thì sẽ “chắc chắn là đe dọa đến quyền của các bậc phụ huynh muốn tham dự vào việc học của con em họ, cũng như quyền chỉ trích nhà trường vì mua một cuốn sách giáo khoa nào đó, hay bày tỏ sự lo ngại của họ về giáo trình và cách thức giảng dạy.”

Công ty Mathematics Vision Project (MVP), phát hành giáo trình dạy toán, hồi Tháng Bảy đưa đơn kiện ông Blain Dillard, một người trong giới phụ huynh tại Học Khu Wake County.

MVP cáo buộc ông Dillard, người mạnh mẽ chống đối giáo trình của họ, là phỉ báng, vu khống và cản trở công việc làm ăn của họ.

Giáo trình của MVP nhấn mạnh vào sự hợp tác của các học sinh để cùng nhau giải các bài toán thay vì có lời chỉ dẫn trực tiếp từ thầy cô. Trong cách dạy này, thầy cô chỉ đóng vai trò trợ giúp khi cần.

Luật Sư Jeffrey Hunt của ông Dillard cho hay đơn kiện của MVP “không có giá trị pháp lý gì.”

“Thật là đáng sợ khi giới phụ huynh sẽ bị kiện tội phỉ báng nếu bày tỏ quan điểm của họ và đưa ra những phát biểu xác thực về chương trình học toán trung học của con họ. Đơn kiện này chỉ là nỗ lực nhằm bịt miệng ông Dillard và những người chỉ trích MVP, và cũng để họ không dám thi hành quyền phát biểu của họ,” theo Luật Sư Hunt.

Học Khu Wake County nay đã dùng giáo trình của MVP sang niên khóa thứ ba.

Từ nhiều tháng nay, có nhiều phụ huynh lên tiếng phản đối các bài học toán mà theo họ không rõ ràng, mạch lạc. Họ đưa đơn than phiền với học khu và cũng xuất hiện trước các cuộc họp của trường.

Các bậc phụ huynh này nói con em họ không có được sự hướng dẫn đầy đủ và chỉ được khuyến khích là hãy nhờ vào sự giúp đỡ của bạn học.

Vì lý do đó, họ cho rằng các học sinh thường được điểm A và B nay chỉ có điểm C và D, làm ảnh hưởng lâu dài tới điểm học bạ và khiến các học sinh này khó tranh đua khi nộp đơn xin vào các đại học.

Học Khu Wake County nói rằng họ vẫn tin tưởng vào sự hữu hiệu của giáo trình MVP, nhưng cần có thêm sự hỗ trợ cho nhà giáo cũng như học sinh trong việc dạy và học toán. (Lê Tâm)

/* src.: https://www.nguoi-viet.com/nguoi-vie...ha-me-bi-kien/