Register
Page 39 of 44 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast
    Robert E. Lee-aving:

Robert E. Lee statue comes down at Virginia Capitol; U.S. Capitol statue also being replaced

Ăn cơm USA mà thờ ma CS.

Virginia is for lovers of equality:

Virginia takes key step to remove Robert E. Lee statue from US Capitol
    https://wtop.com/congress/2020/07/vi...m-u-s-capitol/

A Virginia panel voted Friday to have a statue of Gen. Robert E. Lee removed from the U.S. Capitol after Gov. Ralph Northam told its members, “It is past time that we stop honoring the Confederacy.”

The statue of Lee was donated to the U.S. Capitol more than 100 years ago and is displayed in the crypt below the Rotunda.

“These statues are divisive; they glorify a racist and painful time in our history, and it is past time that we stop honoring the Confederacy,” he said.

Each state is allowed to have two statues in the U.S. Capitol. Many are located in Statuary Hall, but they are spread throughout the building.

Virginia’s other statue is of President George Washington, which is located prominently in the Rotunda.
    Trăm năm tượng đá cũng mòn...

Sẩy một Lee, đi một trường:

Robert E. Lee High School renamed to John R. Lewis High School

Bệnh thời đại:

Austin, Texas, joins growing number of U.S. cities in declaring racism a 'public health crisis'
    https://news.yahoo.com/austin-texas-racism-public-health-crisis-louisville-minneapolis-191822382.html

Citing racial disparities in the rates of poverty, unemployment, homeownership and arrest, the Austin measure echoes the language of resolutions passed in other cities around the country. According to tracking by the American Public Health Association (APHA), dozens of cities and counties have made similar declarations over the past two months.

“Racism is literally killing Black and brown people. It’s a public health crisis and it’s beyond time to treat it as such,” Austin Council Member Natasha Harper-Madison said, adding, “The inequities are countless and they aren’t because African-Americans are inherently inferior. They are the fruits of generations’ worth of explicitly discriminatory and racist policies, things like housing policies from the federal level on down to the local level, that kept Black residents from even reaching the ground floor of generational wealth-building.”

Aboriginal Australians 'still suffering effects of colonial past'
    By Shaimaa Khalil BBC News, Sydney

The death of George Floyd in the US has also hit home in Australia.

It has brought anger about mass incarceration and police brutality back to the fore in this country.

In the past three decades, more than 400 Aboriginal people have died in custody, either being held in prisons or under the arrest of the police - despite findings and recommendations from a national inquiry in 1991. Many have died under suspicious circumstances, some due to negligence or lack of medical assistance. No-one was convicted for any of those deaths.

And like in the US, there have been calls to shift resources away from policing and prisons and towards empowering indigenous people to make the decisions that affect their community.

Some projects are getting government funding. Keenan Mundine's small charity, Deadly Connections, relies mainly on donations.

Keenan, a 33-year-old Aboriginal Australian, tries to keep young people away from prison and help them navigate the often-tense relationship with the police.

"The only time the blue uniform comes into our community is to take away a loved one," he says.

I asked him how he feels when he sees a policeman.

"Fear!", he answers almost immediately.

Keenan Mundine

We are spending the afternoon in the neighbourhood where he grew up in Redfern in inner-city Sydney.

He points to different tower blocks, each with a different encounter with the authorities. One where his best friend was chased by the police and fell to his death from a balcony.

"I was actually arrested once in that very place we are right now," he says, as we stand by the pavement facing the towers and a basketball court.

"I used to play on those streets and dream of better days, of not being broken. Not being chased by the police. Some kids that I played with lost their lives because of the police," he says.

Keenan was taken into care at the age of six when he lost both his parents - his father to suicide, his mother to a drug overdose.

By 14 he was in juvenile detention for theft. He was also involved in drugs and spent much of the next 15 years behind bars.

His memories of this time are blurred, but he does remember the birthdays.

Keenan was taken into care at a young age

"I turned 18 in juvenile custody," Keenan says in tears.

"When those days come around, you just want to be around your family, you just want to be loved. You want to feel normal. You don't want presents, you don't want anything else but to be at the table with your loved ones," he adds.

Keenan has turned a corner in his life. He's been clean and out of jail for a few years now. He's married and has two little boys Khaius and Khyreese.

He's a devoted father and keeps a close eye on them while we talk. Then takes them to the swings. He worries for their future.

He says the justice system has unfairly targeted young Aboriginal people like him for years and that this hasn't changed

"I live in constant fear of my children being put in the same position that I was and having things happen to them that were out of their control and traumatising them for the rest of their life.

"I worry about them growing older and being arrested by the police and being taken to prison," Keenan says.

Colonial roots

His fear is echoed among thousands of other first nations families.

While indigenous Australians make up less than 3% of the population, they represent more a quarter of adult prisoners.

More than half the children sentenced to juvenile detention in Australia are Aboriginal.

And an indigenous teenage boy is more likely to go to jail than to university.

"The over-incarceration of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people today is a direct legacy of colonisation in Australia," says Roxanne Moore, executive officer for the National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Legal Services.

Massacres and the jailing of indigenous Australians enabled British settlement here from the late 18th Century.

Police played a big part in forcing people off their land.

And right up to the 1970s, police took part in the removal of huge numbers of indigenous children from their homes, to be adopted by white families or put in institutions.

The Stolen Generations

The forcible removal of indigenous children from their families was a result of various government policies of assimilation which assumed black inferiority and white superiority.

The objective of these policies was for indigenous people to be allowed to "die out" through a process of natural elimination, or where possible, be assimilated into the white community.

The generations of children removed from their homes and families became known as the Stolen Generations and the legacy of trauma and loss continues to haunt many Aboriginal families until today.

"This is not in the past for us, we feel the impact and the legacy of colonisation every single day... particularly in the justice system," says Ms Moore.

"We still see the repercussions of that in the over-policing of our people, in the systemic discrimination that still exists."

She added that one of the reasons it becomes very hard to leave the justice system once a young person is in it, is because it is stacked against Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people at every level.

"From police interactions, to the courts, through to the sentences in prison, being denied bail, through to black deaths in custody. That's why we need structural change in order to get true justice for our people," she says.

Statues of Captain James Cook mark the British explorer's arrival here in 1770.

But he is a controversial figure with a questionable legacy.

Many see him as a hero. Others see him as the man who opened the door for the displacement and dispossession of Australia's first nations people.

There were attempts by some leaders to acknowledge Australia's difficult past. But it never went far enough for indigenous Australians, who are still not mentioned in the constitution, for example.

In February 2008, then-Prime Minister Kevin Rudd formally apologised to Australia's indigenous people for the policies that have caused centuries of continued suffering and in which the police played a big part.

It was a key moment. But for many, the moment passed with no real change.

Despite a number of government initiatives, indigenous Australians continue to be disadvantaged on every level, from health and education to life expectancy.

Keenan takes me to see a couple of the teenagers he works with, Chaise Patten and Malakai Marr.

They meet not far from Keenan's old neighbourhood and chat over some food and a game of basketball.

Fifteen-year-old Chaise said the biggest challenge facing him as a young Aboriginal person is the colour of his skin and where he lives.

"There are a lot of people on drugs. A lot of crime," he says, adding that many of his family members have gone down that path.

"We don't want to follow that. We want to work. Get our own jobs."

Malakai said another challenge is that there's always doubt over their ability to succeed.

"I just want to be a good kid. But the police think because I'm black, I'm just going to end up in jail - selling drugs. I'm not like that, I want to own my own business and go to university."

These young people are hoping to change the narrative and for their future to be different from their ancestors' past.

Keenan said that is why he goes back to his old neighbourhood and the areas around it.

"When I go back, I see my story happening all over again. I see a lot of struggling still," he says.

"I was traumatised by this community. But I want to come back and be able to show that there's hope. That your circumstance will not define who you can be."

/* src.: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-53436225

http://dtphorum.com/pr4/signaturepics/sigpic726_7.gif Puck Futin

Cảnh sát nếu không giám sát chặt chẽ thì ở đâu cũng sẽ thành một giai cấp võ sĩ đạo kiểu mới, lạm quyền và lạm sát, xử người chứ không xử việc, bảo vệ quyền lợi của họ quan trọng hơn bảo vệ xã hội. Cảnh sát và tội phạm chỉ khác nhau ở chỗ đứng trong hay đứng ngoài cửa tù.

"Executioners": Deputy gang with matching tattoos rules Compton station, LASD deputy alleges | ABC7

Băng đảng cảnh sát xâm mình có hình lính Quốc xã

A U.S. Marine Corps veteran and decorated LASD deputy alleges that the Compton patrol station is run by a deputy gang known as the "Executioners."

Full story: https://abc7.com/tattooed-deputy-gan...leges/6343979/
    Last edited by ốc; 08-02-2020 at 10:03 AM.

Biệt Thự

Thằng to béo mất dạy tự nhận là ‘bạch tạng thượng cẳng’ thẳng tay tát một người đàn bà sau khi luôn mồm đòi nhân viên gọi cho bố nó mà không được!

Chúng cảnh đồng từ, ông sư cũng có tội:

Tottenham's Danny Rose tired of police stopping him to ask if car is stolen
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...-car-is-stolen

Danny Rose has said he is regularly stopped by police in his car and questioned in various scenarios that would not happen if he were a white man as he detailed his anger and exasperation at racism in the UK.

“The last time, last week, when I’d just been at my mum’s house, I had pulled up in a car park so the engine was off. The police pulled in and they brought a riot van, three police cars and they questioned me. They said they’d had a report that a car had not been driving correctly.

“So I’m like: ‘OK, so why does that make it my car?’ I got my ID out and they breathalysed me. It’s just one of those things to me now. What can I do? Fifteen years of this on and off the field happening and there’s no change whatsoever.”

Rose described being stopped by police as a regular occurrence. “Each time, it’s: ‘Is this car stolen? Where did you get this car from? What are you doing here? Can you prove that you bought this car?’”

He said there had also been incidents when he has travelled by train. “One of the last times I got on the train, I got on with my bags and the attendant said: ‘Do you know this is first class?’” Rose said. “I say: ‘Yeah, so what?’ They ask to see my ticket and I show the lady it and – this is no word of a lie – two people, white people, walk on the train after me and she says nothing.

I asked: ‘Are you not going to ask for their tickets?’ and she just said: ‘Ah no, I don’t need to.’

“People might think it happens but to me that’s racism. These are the things I have to put up with, being stopped all the time and being asked if I know this is first class and to show my ticket.”
    Màu da ấy mới bằng ba chữ tài
    (Nguyễn Dư)

Quyền bầu cử:

Iowa ends lifetime voting ban on people with felony convictions
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...time-ban-ended

Iowa’s governor signed an executive order on Wednesday ending the state’s lifetime voting ban for anyone with a felony conviction, a historic move because Iowa was the only state in the country enforcing such a severe policy.

The order from Kim Reynolds, a Republican, allows people with felony convictions to vote once they complete their sentences, including parole and probation.

“Today we take a significant step forward in acknowledging the importance of redemption, second chances and the need to address inequalities in our justice system,” Reynolds said in a statement. “The right to vote is the cornerstone of society and the free republic in which we live. When someone serves their sentence, they should have their right to vote restored automatically.”

The order is a major victory for Black Lives Matter activists, who for months protested at the state capitol and pushed Reynolds to quickly sign an order.

Roughly 52,000 people – including nearly 10% of eligible African American voters – cannot vote in Iowa because they have felony convictions, according to a 2016 estimate by the Sentencing Project, a criminal justice non-profit. Nearly 24,000 of those blocked from voting had completed their criminal sentences.
    The need to address inequalities in our justice system.

Bao vây nhà để bắt tội phạm "tấn công lỗ tai cảnh sát":

NYPD Besieges a Protest Leader as He Broadcasts Live
    https://news.yahoo.com/nypd-besieges...155154569.html

The street outside had been closed off by roughly two dozen police vehicles and dozens of officers, including some who were wearing tactical gear and carrying shields. At the end of the block, Black Lives Matter supporters had gathered with bullhorns and cameras to protest what appeared to be Ingram’s imminent arrest.

The tense standoff in the Hell’s Kitchen neighborhood continued for several hours as Ingram, 28, talked to lawyers via Zoom and communicated with the outside world over the Instagram video.

He declined to let the officers enter his apartment without a warrant. A police spokeswoman, Sgt. Jessica McRorie, said later that the officers were there to arrest him on charges that he had assaulted an officer by yelling in her ear with a megaphone.

In the end, police left shortly after 1 p.m. without arresting him, and he turned himself in Saturday morning at the Midtown North Precinct, accompanied by his lawyer and about 100 peaceful supporters.

But the tremendous show of force Friday renewed questions about how the Police Department is addressing the protests for racial justice that have continued in New York for weeks and how they are dealing with those who participate in them.
    Chắc ảnh thấy cảnh sát giống bị điếc nên nói to chút.